My blog has been a lonely place....haven't visited in over a year.
The last time I dropped in was to declare a word for 2012.
Intentional.
I failed at being intentional. but. God. succeeded. He always does.
2012 was a difficult year filled with death of loved ones, near death of my mom, a chronic condition for one of my sweet babies, and questions unanswerable. The pain started in early January and it seemed to roll down hill from there. It seemed we couldn't catch a break. Friends and acquaintances even asked the "how do you get out of bed in the morning?" type questions. And. I. wondered...why do I?
When pondering the answer; the story of Elizabeth Elliot and the death of her martyred husband came to mind and the words..."do the next thing."
I did the next thing. With encouragement from friends and prayers that sustained me. I did the next thing. And. I made. it. through.
I failed at being intentional in the ways I had planned. Health. Longer quiet times. BUT I succeeded in being intentional about the things that really mattered. Embracing each day. Counting the joys of every ordinary moment. Knowing that God is not counting my minutes, but measuring my motives when I come before Him.
I like this one word for the year thing. 2013 makes the third year I have embraced a word.
2013 may be the year I need it most.
One thing I noticed last year as I. did. the. next. thing....I sometimes had a hard time breathing. I don't mean breathing in and out. Though, a few of our moments were punctuated with that...hard to breathe and hear the words; "I'm sorry Cheri, your Aunt Tina is gone"(at 46), "Jim (husband of my precious cousin) has gone home to be with Jesus" or "your mom has a brain tumor" or "your baby has type 1 diabetes". Hard not to gasp and think your heart will explode inside your chest. Hard to breathe.
Webster gives several definitions for the word breathe. The definition that struck me?
To feel free of restraint. Whew....free of restraint....say that with me! Sounds wonderful does it not?
Galatians 5:1: "For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." and Psalm 150:6: Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!
When one truly breathes in the Word of God. They breath out praise. And. Praise sets us free.
My blog "friend" Ann Voskamp has blessed me and so many others with her encouragement to be thankful in everything. The beautiful. The ugly. It is a challenge to be thankful in the ugly. But. It changes you.
It has been a challenge to breathe and to do the next thing many days. But. oh to be free from restraint. To live the freedom Christ died for me to live. To BREATHE! Fear and angst have taken up residence to long. False guilt and empty regrets have whispered in the ear long enough.
It is time to breathe in His Word so I can breathe out His Praise and fully live in His freedom. Bring Him Glory in this new year and every one He gives after.
God has placed goals on my heart. One goal (Jess, you will be happy!) is writing. So. Maybe my blog will not be so lonely this year!
Oh....and why do I get out of bed in the morning? My children make me! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment