Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Turn the Other Cheek...

I am new to this autism reality. It is joyous most days. My daughters are both gifts from God and He made them unique and special. I learn from them everyday, I love them in ways I did not know were possible and I stand strong to protect them! Which brings me to the topic of an autism reality. The stares and comments of those who have not had to walk my trail, because you know when a child is on the spectrum they sometimes scream if they are scared or overwhelmed. I truly l..o..v..e parenting advice...sorry, I digress.
Now the flesh wants to stare back and say something rude....like "My child is perfect, WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?! However, it would not bring glory to my Saviour and I have no right to indulge the flesh. So how do I, in a God glorifying manner, respond to those who are ignorant of the situation or who are just plan rude. Do I ignore? Do I educate?
I am learning Not to let it eat at me, not to internalize what others say, because some just don't understand and some ...well...! ;0
I strive to live for Jesus. I want others to see Him in the way I live my life.
This is a difficult lesson He is teaching right now. Patience...not just with my sweet, precious daughter; but with strangers and well meaning friends and family.
I know my God is good and I know this is His journey for us right now. I expect and pray daily that He will bring her through this and she will be a strong and mighty woman of God.
On the trail to that future, I see me having to turn the other cheek alot and that is easier said than done. Any suggestion in how to handle the stares and comments? I will prayerfully consider them all.

2 comments:

  1. Educate! God has given you the gift to teach people and speak gracefully and this sounds to me like the perfect opportunity to use that. I have found that sometimes peoples ignorance is God's lesson to us. I feel like these moments in life help guide us and help us learn more about the journey God has us on. These "lessons" come in all shapes, sizes, names, situations, etc but He has a reason for all of them. Now, do I do this all the time... NO... but I try to. I realized this after a "negative reaction" and the way it made me feel.. My mom always used the phrase, "Kill them with Kindness" or " be the bigger person", I chose to phrase it as just being am image of Christ! I know God has you on this journey for BIG reasons and I get excited when I think about the possibilities!
    Love you to pieces and big hugs!
    Khara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Khara, you always seem to have the right word for the season I am in right now. Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete